Tuesday 10 March 2015

Baby Quilt


Recently I was asked by a friend to make a quilt for a little girl. We discussed the design and went to choose the fabric together. I was so excited and couldn't wait to start.
Unfortunately there were some issues with the fabric and the project got delayed. When all was ready I was really worried about it and dreaded starting to work on it. It can be really hard to make something for somebody else. I do worry a lot if it will turn out well and if they will like it.



This quilt was different however. Once I finally started I could not stop. I had so much fun deciding the design and making it come to life. I love working with bright colours. I was rather sad when my friend collected the quilt. But the girl it was for loves it and that's kinda better than keeping it myself!



I started making quilts about a year ago after a friend gave me some tips. I never follow a pattern. I just start with a few small scraps and let it grow until it feels right. The thought of following a pattern scares me. I am not sure if I would be accurate enough at matching up corners and seams. Acutually, I know I would be really bad at it. But I must say, I have seen some really lovely designs on Instagram and might get tempted. But for now I am back to dressmaking.




Have you made any quilts? Do you prefer to follow a pattern or do you make up something random like me? Can you recommend any good patterns?




2 comments:

  1. this is really pretty :) i like the colours you chose. i've never tried quilting but it would be a good use of all my fabric scraps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. You totally should, its great fun! And you can use all your lovely fabrics again.

      Delete